According to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, (FERPA) parents and guardians of each student under 18 years of age and each student who is 18 years of age or older, have certain rights regarding records kept concerning the student by Linden Community Schools. These include:
- The right to examine the student’s record. Requests for inspection shall be made at the respective school buildings or the Linden Administration building.
- The right to have the administration hear evidence that any part of the record is inaccurate, misleading or violates a student’s privacy or other rights, to have the record changed if the administration agrees with the applicant evidence and to insert an explanation in the record if the administration disagrees.
- The right to have records which personally refer to a student kept confidential except either by consent of the parent / student or when being used by school personnel for school business. Certain official agencies may also request records.
- The right to obtain a copy of the Board of Education Policy on Privacy of Student Records from the Linden Administration Building.
- The right to protest to the Family Educational Policy on Privacy Act Office, Department of Health, Education and Welfare, 330 Independence Avenue SW, Washington, DC.20201 if the school district is not complying with the Family Rights and Privacy Act of the Health, Education, and Welfare rules.
The following information will be made available for publication in directories, sports programs and so forth as well as being provided to military recruiters. Directory information includes the following information relative to the student:
The student’s name, the parent’s name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees, awards received, the most previous educational agency or institution of the student and similar information generally found in yearbooks.
If a parent or student does not wish this information to be available for publication or provided to military recruiters, a written notice must be signed by the parent / student and given to the building principal by September 30, 2005.